New Volcker Alliance Book Tackles How Government Can Meet the Challenges of the Century Ahead
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Neilia Stephens, Director of Communications
NEW VOLCKER ALLIANCE BOOK TACKLES HOW GOVERNMENT CAN MEET THE CHALLENGES OF THE CENTURY AHEAD
Scholars, economists, and accomplished public servants share their perspectives on the state of government and its future
NEW YORK, NY (May 1, 2020) – Today, the Volcker Alliance announced the publication and release of a book entitled Public Service and Good Governance for the Twenty-First Century. The book offers recommendations for developing public leaders through higher education, creating a federal civil service to meet future needs, and rebuilding bipartisanship to make the sweeping changes needed to restore good government.
“The pandemic has brought our country to terms with how critical it is to have a public sector workforce that is prepared to deliver, come rain or shine—or new viruses,” said Thomas W. Ross, president of the Volcker Alliance. “We believe that this book, especially given the urgency of these historic times, will help our nation to have a better conversation about how to ensure our government is equipped to serve our citizens.”
The publication was inspired by the Volcker at 90 Symposium, a celebration held in 2017 for the ninetieth birthday of Paul A. Volcker, founding chairman of the Volcker Alliance, who passed away last December. The event brought together over 200 leaders from the public, private, nonprofit, and academic sectors to discuss future governance challenges facing the United States and explore how public institutions and public servants can meet them. The book contains a foreword by Mr. Volcker.
“There could not be a more fitting product to come from the Volcker at 90 Symposium,” said Bill Bradley, chairman of the Volcker Alliance board of directors. “Restoring Americans’ trust in government was one of Mr. Volcker’s greatest life passions. He hoped that this book would serve as a resource as the next generation of public servants steps up to lead our nation through the complex challenges it faces today.”
Public Service and Good Governance for the Twenty-First Century, published by the University of Pennsylvania Press, addresses questions including: What is the state of government today? What institutions and structures will be needed to meet future challenges? And what knowledge, skills, and abilities will need to be fostered for tomorrow’s civil servants to lead and execute effectively? The book was edited by James L. Perry, distinguished professor emeritus in the Paul H. O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University, Bloomington, and authored by a distinguished group of public service experts:
- Sheila Bair, former chair of the FDIC and Volcker Alliance board member
- William W. Bradley, former New Jersey senator and Volcker Alliance chairman
- John J. DiIulio Jr., professor of politics, religion, and civil society at the University of Pennsylvania
- Angela Evans, dean of The University of Texas at Austin’s LBJ School of Public Affairs
- Francis Fukuyama, director of the Center on Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law at Stanford University and Volcker Alliance board member
- Donald F. Kettl, professor of public management and public policy at the LBJ School and Volcker Alliance nonresident senior fellow
- Ramayya Krishnan, professor of management science and information systems at Carnegie Mellon University
- Paul C. Light, professor of public service at New York University and Volcker Alliance nonresident senior fellow
- Shelley Metzenbaum, consultant for the BETTER Project and founding president of the Volcker Alliance
- Norman J. Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, columnist for The Atlantic, and Volcker Alliance board member
- Norma M. Riccucci, professor of public administration at Rutgers University
- Paul R. Verkuil, professor of law at Yeshiva University
For more information on Public Service and Good Governance for the Twenty-First Century and to obtain a discount code for purchasing, please visit volckeralliance.org.
The Volcker Alliance advances effective management of government to achieve results that matter to citizens. The nonprofit, nonpartisan organization is inspired by the legendary public service of our founder, Paul A. Volcker, former chairman of the Federal Reserve, and his vision of a public sector workforce with the experience, preparation, and commitment to ensure that government is accountable and delivers with excellence. Visit volckeralliance.org to learn more. Follow us on social media @VolckerAlliance and subscribe to the Volcker Alliance newsletter for the latest news and developments. The Volcker Alliance is a 501(c)(3) organization.