Inspired by the pioneering Public Service Academy (PSA) at Arizona State University Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions, NextGen Service programs:
- Engage students in a multi-year curriculum;
- Recruit students from all disciplines and majors;
- Prioritize recruitment of student populations traditionally underrepresented in government;
- Emphasize public service values and community engagement;
- Integrate experiential learning through internships and mission-focused projects;
- Offer structured opportunities to collaborate with fellow students outside the classroom; and
- Award a credential upon completion.
While all NextGen schools share these principles, each participating school customizes its program to leverage the assets of its student body and community.
The Volcker Alliance facilitates the sharing of resources and best practices among participating NexGen Service schools to inform program design. The Volcker Alliance offers schools a range of support to inform and accelerate planning and implementation efforts, including seed funding, technical assistance, project management, and structured opportunities to share progress and lessons learned.