Public Service Education Accelerator
Paul A. Volcker, the founder of the Volcker Alliance, recognized the singular capacity of Schools of Public Service to strengthen the public sector workforce and help solve the great issues of our time. The Public Service Education Accelerator (PSE Accelerator), an initiative launched by the Volcker Alliance in 2020, operates under this same belief and is dedicated to developing and implementing innovative strategies to amplify the reach and impact of public service education.
The central objectives of the PSE Accelerator are to catalyze innovation to strengthen public service curricula, impart public service values to a broader group of students across all disciplines, and amplify the capacity of Schools of Public Service to inspire and prepare the next generation of public servants.
The PSE Accelerator will serve as an “implementation engine” for leaders of Schools of Public Service, supporting the launch of pilots that challenge the status quo and raise the bar for public service teaching and learning. PSE Accelerator pilots will:
- Aim to expand the reach of public service education values to a broader and more diverse array of undergraduate and graduate students;
- Explore development of innovative curricula, teaching or learning methods to build the leadership, strategic, technological, entrepreneurial, analytical, and problem-solving competencies most in demand for effective service in government;
- Have potential to influence the field of public service education writ large, as opposed to increasing the competitive advantage of a single school.
Some PSE Accelerator pilots will be organized using a cohort approach, driving implementation of pilots among a group of schools with structured opportunities for joint learning as individual institutional efforts unfold.
Initiative Support and Selection
Volcker Alliance support for PSE Accelerator pilots may include:
- Seed funding
- Strategic planning
- Project management
- Engagement of interested deans, experts or thought partners
- Real-time documentation and synthesis
- Graphic design and development of materials
- Conferences, convenings, workshops or other opportunities for peer-to-peer learning
- Communications strategy or public relations assistance
The Volcker Alliance will select PSE Accelerator pilots in consultation with an advisory board comprised of leading experts in public service education as well as with input from NASPAA and the Deans Summit. We will prioritize transformative ideas with potential to fill an unmet need in the field of public service education.
Public Service Education Accelerator Advisory Board
Sandra Archibald, Professor and Dean Emerita of the University of Washington's Evans School of Public Policy; Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Volcker Alliance
Matthew R. Auer, Dean of the University of Georgia's School of Public and International Affairs
Michael S. Barr, Joan and Sanford Weill Dean of Public Policy and the Frank Murphy Collegiate Professor of Public Policy at the University of Michigan's Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy
Trevor Brown, Professor and Dean of the John Glenn College of Public Affairs and Executive Dean of the Professional Colleges at The Ohio State University
Angela Evans, Dean and Clinical Professor of Public Policy Practice at The University of Texas at Austin's Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs
Jonathan Koppell, Dean of Arizona State University's Watts College of Public Service & Community Solutions
Kathryn Newcomer, Professor and former Director of the George Washington University's Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration
From time to time, the Alliance will issue a competitive call for ideas or participation in a pilot opportunity. The Alliance will post all necessary information, such as timelines and selection criteria, on its website.
PSE Accelerator Initiatives:
- Next Generation Service Partnership: The Next Generation Service Partnership, launched in 2020 by the Volcker Alliance and Arizona State University’s Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions, is the first initiative of the Public Service Education Accelerator. NextGen Service seeks to inspire and prepare undergraduate students to drive needed change and impact throughout their careers.
To receive notifications regarding the PSE Accelerator or other Alliance initiatives, please subscribe here.