The Volcker Alliance and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta cohost the FY2020 State Fiscal Conference on July 10-11, in Atlanta
Building on the grades, conclusions, and best practice recommendations contained in the Volcker Alliance’s 2018 report, Truth and Integrity in State Budgeting: Preventing the Next Fiscal Crisis, the Alliance and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta cohosted the FY2020 State Fiscal Conference, "Truth and Integrity in State Budgeting: Looming Risks, Durable Solutions,” in Atlanta on July 10-11. This solutions-oriented event marked the fourth in a series of such convenings with regional Federal Reserve Banks.
The conference attracted state lawmakers, budget officials, investors, Fed officials, media, and representatives of national associations of budget officers, legislators, and finance officials to discuss strategies for meeting critical challenges. Attendees also gained actionable information on budgetary risks and best practices.
The event kicked off on the evening of Wednesday, July 10 with a guided tour of the Federal Reserve Bank Monetary Museum, followed by a keynote conversation over dinner with former Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin and James Salzer, Assistant Senior Editor for State Government and Politics, Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
On Thursday, July 11, panel topics included:
- Better Budget Forecasting: Identifying and Lessening Revenue Risks
- Infrastructure: Quantifying Risks to Reap the Rewards
- Workforce Development: Challenges, Solutions, and Budget Consequences
- Rainy Day Funds & Reserves: Ameliorating Revenue Risks
Featured speakers included:
- Raphael Bostic, President, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
- Shirley Clarke Franklin, former Atlanta Mayor and Board Member, Volcker Alliance
- William Glasgall, Senior Vice President and Director of State and Local Initiatives, Volcker Alliance
- Gabriel Petek, Legislative Analyst, California
- Tracy Gordon, Senior Fellow, Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center
- Sheila Amoroso, Senior Vice President, Director, Municipal Bond Department, Franklin Templeton Fixed Income Group
The conference was also livestreamed on our website, and video of the event is available on this page.
The event also marked the release of the latest working paper from the Volcker Alliance: Rainy Day Fund Strategies: A Call to Action.
Feel free to contact William Glasgall with any further questions regarding the event. For media inquiries, contact Neilia Stephens. Follow us @VolckerAlliance for the latest updates on our events and continuing work.
RELATED LINKS ON OTHER SITES: Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta