The Volcker Alliance advances effective management of government to achieve results that matter to citizens. The nonpartisan Alliance works toward that objective by partnering with other organizations—academic, business, governmental, and public interest—to strengthen professional education for public service, conduct needed research on government performance, and improve the efficiency and accountability of governmental organization at the federal, state, and local levels.
The Communications Intern will assist with implementing various aspects of the organization’s communications strategy including branding, social media campaign development, website maintenance, and media outreach. The position can be either full-time (five days/35 hours per week) or part-time (three or four days per week/20 hours per week).
• Write press releases, media pitches, and marketing materials;
• Develop and maintain media lists and conduct media proactive outreach;
• Develop talking points and internal messaging to support the organization;
• Monitor and create social media content regarding Volcker Alliance activities and publications on social media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and other social media sites;
• Plan social media campaigns using communications best practices, including stated objectives, goals, and metrics to evaluate success;
• Possess a solid understanding of Drupal and provide routine content maintenance including creating new webpages, updating text, images and video. Implement processes and guidelines to ensure web content is current and accurate and analyzes site effectiveness to continuously drive usage;
• Maintain content on the Volcker Alliance website; contribute to continuous improvements of the overall design, layout, features, etc. to enhance user experience;
• Maintain an image database for web, blog, and social media content. Ensure that all permissions, rights, and licensing requirements are identified and secured in advance as needed;
• Assist with reports including media coverage reports and annual reports;
• Provide general administrative support and perform other duties that may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or degree candidate; preferably in communications, journalism, English, or related fields;
• 1-2 years of work or intern experience, preferably with an agency or in-house;
• Demonstrated interest in government, public policy, and/or public administration;
• Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, including excellent phone demeanor and direct communication skills with staff, consultants, and partners as well as impeccable spelling, grammar, and ability to write in different styles and tones;
• Knowledge of web design, web development and/or graphic design a plus;
• Solid experience with social media;
• Highly organized, attentive to detail, and ability to multitask;
• Poised, with a personable, professional manner, and positive attitude; and
• Flexible and willing to adapt to changing circumstances in a start-up atmosphere.
The Alliance offers a competitive hourly wage and flexible work hours for internships. Students may also receive school credit, depending on the requirements.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, indicating the position “Communications Intern” in the email subject line. Also, specify in your cover letter whether you are seeking a full-time or part-time internship.
If selected to move forward in the hiring process, a recent writing sample will be required for submission prior to an interview.
The Volcker Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.